Everyday we make thousands of choices. Whether its choosing to eat a bagel as opposed to a muffin, or what we do after school, choices are inherently part of our daily lives. For example -- Today: I chose to buy a cinnamon roll for breakfast. I chose to do my math homework first, instead of Spanish. I chose to give 4 dollars to our school's Christmas Hunger Project. And, I am choosing to write this blog right now.
There are also the choices that we make without any consideration. In Spanish class today, functionally, I chose not to join in and act immaturely with my fellow students. And when my friend annoyed me today, I didn't lash out at him (even if he was being an idiot).
Now the question is, did I really make a choice? When I wasn't even considering those options today? I was pretty much just being me - Or so I think; however, I have decided that I did make a choice, or I already made a choice along time ago. I believe, that years ago, at some random time, I decided that I wanted to be a respectful person. I pretty much still have that same personality because of that choice I made a long time ago, and the choice I make everyday to maintain that role. Because of the consequential nature of decisions, my world and my life, are all founded on the choices I make. Even the tiny blood cells in my body are products of my parent's choice to procreate and my choice to keep myself alive.
Even without thinking sometimes, we make millions of decisions on a daily basis. It's actually our decision making patterns that define ourselves as individuals. The activities we participate in, the grades we get, the friends we make, are all products of the choices we have made. When people say you decide your own future, I believe it. You know, I think people have simply stopped thinking about other actions. People have forgotten the old saying, "Every reaction has a reaction" (also another reason why choices affect everything). The modern generation don't remember the reaction half. Young people make stupid decisions like drugs, alcohol, skipping school, joining gangs, etc because they don't realize the extent of the consequences they will end up suffering from.
Now how do we change it? I honestly don't know. The best bet I think we can have is to start raising awareness. Because if people can understand their situation, they might make the better choice.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment